The widespread use of smartphones and availability of high speed mobile internet has encouraged people to use social media platforms for multiple reasons. Facebook is undoubtedly the largest such platform with over 2 billion monthly active users.
With rising number of users on social media platforms, the cases of hacked accounts are increasing day by day. Considering the amount of personal information and the impact of a social media account, safeguarding one’s account is of utmost importance.
People use to login various websites using their Facebook account making it more vulnerable as you don’t know how your credentials may be used by the website owners. If they don’t, the hackers are always there online to steal your identity far too easily and snip all your data while damaging your reputation.
Today we are going to share some basic tips enabling you to protect your Facebook account from hackers.
How to Check for Suspicious Activities?
There are other signs that can tell you if your account has been hacked. Simple things that you do all day can tell you about any suspicious activity.
- Any unknown activity in your ‘Activity Log’. Check out for any leery ‘comment’, ‘like’ or ‘share’.
- Posts that you didn’t write.
- Messages that you didn’t send.
- Any changes to the password, email or birthday etc.
- A new sign in notification in your notifications panel
How to Check From Where You’re Logged In?
You better know the devices used to login to your Facebook account, so it’s easy to identify any suspicious device getting access to your account without your notice. Just do the following:
Go to Settings > Security and Login > Where You’re Logged In
This will show all the devices along with the location where you’re logged in. If you don’t recognize any device or any location, immediately click the button next to it and click ‘Log Out’.
There’s also an option ‘Log Out of All Sessions’. Choose this if you want to log out any potential hacker from your Facebook account temporarily. If someone still signs in, you’ll know something is amiss.
What Can I Do to Keep My Facebook Account Safe?
Facebook has so many security features, but either we’re not aware or we’re too lazy to use them. All you have to do is to enable some options and Facebook will take care of your account. Here’s what you can do:
Go to Security and Login, and scroll down to ‘Setting Up Extra Security’.
Here you’ll see four options.
- Get alerts about unrecognized logins
- Use two-factor authentication
- Choose 3 to 5 friends to contact if you get locked out
- Encrypted notification emails under Advanced tab
Enable these features and you will have additional security layers that will keep your Facebook account protected.
My Facebook Has Been Hacked, What Should I Do Now?
Here are a few things that you must do immediately once you recognize any suspicious activity.
- After logging out of all devices, as we told you earlier, change your password without wasting any time.
- Get assistance from Facebook Help Page. Choose the option ‘I think my account was hacked or someone is using it without my permission’. Then click ‘Get Started’ and answer all the questions and Facebook will guide you on how to secure your account.
- Try deactivating your account for a few days after changing the password.
Feel free to share your views & comments in the Comment Section below.