galaxy-note-9-catches-fire

We do remember those horrible days when Galaxy Note 7 was on fire for its battery issues that resulted in dumping of 2.5 million devices around the globe. Later on, Samsung somehow managed to counter that particular battery fiasco on its next four flagship devices.

But it seems that the South Korean tech giant has to do more as the Galaxy Note 9 – the recently launched big gun by Samsung costing for almost $1,000, has been reported with spontaneous combustion inside a woman’s purse in the US.

Galaxy Note 9 Catches Fire

According to a report published in New York Post, Ms. Diane Chung – a lady belonging to Long Island and an estate agent by profession, has filed a lawsuit in the Queens Supreme Court.

She states in her claim that just after midnight Sept. 3, she was in the elevator of a Bayside building when her brand new Galaxy Note 9 “became extremely hot”. She stopped using the phone and put it in her bag. Suddenly, she heard a “whistling and screeching sound” and she noticed thick smoke pouring from her purse.

She tried to empty the purse in the elevator, burning her hand in the process. The smoke from the phone filled the elevator until she was able to get the door open and kick it into the lobby. She said the phone was still burning until a good Samaritan picked it up and dropped it into a bucket of water.

She called the experience “traumatic” that ruined everything in her bag and left her unable to contact clients. Ms. Chung has requested in her lawsuit for an undisclosed amount in damages and a restraining order preventing the Galaxy Note 9 from being sold.

Samsung’s Response

The report further quotes a statement issued by a Samsung spokesman on the very issue that says:

“We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter.”

(Source