The government of Punjab has introduced free internet access through Punjab WiFi Program in Lahore, Rawalpindi and Multan in collaboration with Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) with an aim to expand the program to other cities. More than 200 hotspots have been installed in first phase to provide free internet access to over 160,000 users.
With the tagline “Enhancing Public Services through Technology,” the free WiFi facility will be provided under the Digital Punjab program to bridge the digital divide by providing people with easy and reliable access to the free internet at public places.
Although the free Wi-Fi service has been working since January this year but it couldn’t be accessed on the roads. PITB reported that the Punjab Wi-Fi was used by around 7,945 users during the PSL 2017 Final match.
Punjab WiFi Program
According to the breakdown, 115 Free WiFi hotspots are placed in Lahore, 47 in Multan and 30 in Rawalpindi. You may find these hotspots popular spots in Lahore like Model Town Park, Jillani Park, Services Hospital, Jinnah Hospital, Alhamra Arts Council, the airport, railway station and all metro stations.
Each hotspot would cater to around 800 to 1500 users, depending on the traffic at the location. Every hotspot would have four to five access points to provide 100 to 500 meters of internet coverage.
A registered user is allowed to use free internet for four hours a day
The service is available for Android users only
If you want to use Punjab WiFi, you’ll have to go through a simple registration procedure; requiring your name, date of birth, profession and mobile number.
How to Use Free Internet through Punjab WiFi
You will have to register yourself to Punjab WiFi before you get access to free internet. Follow these simple steps to use free internet over Punjab WiFi:
- Download the Punjab WiFi app from the Play Store.
- Open the Punjab WiFi app and it will provide you all the hotspots nearby.
- The app will also show you instructions for using the Punjab WiFi.
- Turn on the WiFi and connect PunjabWifi. This may take 5-10 seconds.
- Add any website’s address in your web browser; a Punjab Wifi page will open up on your screen.
- Add your mobile number
- Enter PIN code received on your number
- Enter your profile details; Name, Occupation, Email, Date of Birth and Gender
- Your Punjab Wifi account has now been created; you can now use free internet!